Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting Started

About my hair:
As I looked back at pictures of myself down through the years I have found that after I married my hair was sometimes long and sometimes short and I had been experiencing some hair damage. About three years ago (2008) I made a choice for healthy hair. I got rid of all my curling irons and flat irons and I began doing hot oil treatments and deep conditioning my hair. This helped greatly and I saw wonderful results. My hair was way past my shoulders.


After I had my baby and finished nursing a year later (2011) I had some trouble with my hair. I experienced lots of breakage that seemed to happen all of a sudden on the back, bottom, left side of my hair. I did not notice any gradual hair loss, it just seemed to be gone on that side all of a sudden. i could do nothing with my hair. It was so uneven and thin that I was embarrassed to wear it down so for the longest time (about 2-3 months) I simply pinned it up.

So shortly after Mother's Day 2011 (April or May of 2011) I went to a hair stylist and she cut my hair. Oh it was so very short, right under my ears. I cried and it took some getting used to. Well of course with me being used to having long hair it was hard for me to all of a sudden have short hair. On June 18, 2011 I got a perm for the very last time. My hair stylist blow dried my hair after which she flat ironed it. It was horrible. My hair was bone straight with not one curl and I couldn't do anything with it for about two weeks. It was shortly after this incident that I decided that I wanted my hair back. I was tired of the thinning and being a slave to the perm (relaxer).

I want my hair to be healthy, long, strong, and full.

I have done so much research and learned so much about the danger of relaxers and caring for our hair in general. I will post some pictures of the current state of my hair soon. I have been transitioning for about a month now. (since June 18). It's funny I don't measure my hair in terms of the length of the relaxed ends now. It's all about the new growth.