Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Getting Started 2

1. There were 3 or 4 associates at work that have been talking to me about going natural for the past two years.

2. When they first started talking to me I thought it was nonsense. My thoughts were: My hair is long, thick and pretty why should I go natural and have a "nappy" head?

3. Earlier this year I experienced some pretty bad breakage in the bottom left side of my hair, my hair was thinning horribly and I couldn't really wear it down cause it was so thin and it looked bad. I wore my length one last time on Mother's Day and decided to cut it because after all it was scraggly and I was only wearing it pinned up everyday. So I got it cut and I cried because it was so very horribly short, at least a whole lot shorter than I was used to.

4. Then I got my perm June 17, 2011 and my hair stylist flat-ironed my hair. It was horribly flat and did not have a single curl. I hated it.

5. By this time I had been bouncing the idea of going natural around in my head for about four months or longer. I had rejected the idea initially because everything I researched online showed everybody with natural hair with weave and braids or Afros, none of which was for me.


6. As time went on I picked up the idea once more and researched more. I found out that relaxers had really bad stuff in it that was carcinogenic. (cancer causing) like "ates", parabans and cones"So I decided to stop relaxing my hair. I even watched Chris Rock's Good Hair Movie.

7.I did more research and I found black women with beautiful natural hair that was long, thick and pretty and they were doing more than just weave, braids or Afros (which is OK if you like that sort of thing).

8. I researched the "big chop" repeatedly and again decided that was not for me. I was devastated when my hair was cut back in April.

9. I've found even more information about pH levels and how that can be used to keep your hair at the perfect healthy pH level and promote hair growth.

I'm steady in my decision to "go natural" as they say. It's not a fad for me, I'm doing this cause I want healthy, strong, long, hair. :-D