Friday, October 7, 2011

Africa's Best, Rod Rollers, African Pride, Natural Laxer, Shea Moisture Product Line

So I got some new hair products. The only thing that I will continue to use from the NuGro line is the spray moisturizer. I have switched to a new shampoo and conditioner. I now use Shea Moisture all natural products. Each Shea Moisture product was $9.99 plus tax at Target. I purchased mine in store, however it is available online. I like the Shea Moisture product line because they do not contain "-ates", "cones", parabens, etcetera and they are affordably priced.

The shampoo has a good lather and left my hair clean/soft and detangled.


The reconstructive elixir smells delicious and I use it daily. Love this combination of oils.

The conditioner smells good and left my hair soft and manageable. The directions say you can leave it in or rinse it out.

I have not yet tried the hair masque. The directions say you can leave it in or rinse it out.
  
I will continue to use the Natural laxer and am pleased with the softness and manageability of my hair. I can actually comb through it after rinsing out the product. The effects are cumulative. See older posts OR Google for more information on Baka Natural Laxer. I paid $14.99 per jar through Treasured Locks online. It is chemical free, all natural and is not permanent. This product does not straighten the hair, it makes it more manageable. The second time I used this I used filtered water from my fridge, I did not order the rose water (even though it smells divine). I also just sat under the hair dryer with a plastic shower/conditioning cap (I did not use the heat cap as suggested). I sat under the dryer for about 30-45 minutes (I am still transitioning).

I use the Baka Natural Laxer once a month. The effects are cumulative.

















When I roll my hair with my curl formers (see older posts or Google search) I utilize Lottabody setting lotion.The curlers work really well and I only have to sit under the dryer for 30-45 minutes.


Just add water.
My spray bottle oil mix.
Since I have began transitioning I have noticed that my scalp has been itchy. I know it has been said that certain oils like petrolatum and mineral oil are not good for hair. I do use natural oils (which I place in a spray bottle and massage into my scalp and apply to my hair which contains olive oil, Africa's Best oil mix, castor oil, and safflower oil, however I still find times when my scalp is really dry and itchy.I purchased all of the Africa's Best oil and African pride products from Wal-Mart. All affordably priced.

This is the oil.

This smells delicious, I use it to do my twist outs at night and as a daily moisturizer.

This works really well for moisturizing and shine.
This is best used after you wash your hair although the directions say that it can be used as a daily leave-in. I found that this needed a lot of time to dry and when I used it for a twist out at night the next morning some of my curls were still damp.  I use this on my baby's curly/coily hair and it helps with detangling and his hair has a shine all day.
 
So I purchased some hair grease and I use it sparingly for those times when my scalp feels dry and itchy.
The ingredients aren't perfect but it works.

Petrolatum, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lanolin, Butyrospermum Park ii (Shea Butter), Buxus Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaves (Japanese Green Tea), Tocopheryl Acetate, Apocynum Cannabinum Root Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, Trigonella Foenum-Graecum Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Extract, Fragrance


When I do a twist out I do two strand twists and then I twist them into bantu knots and pin them with a bobby pin. Recently I tried something new...rod rollers!

A little gel to set it.
Rod Rollers from Sallys
Wrapped in end paper, three sizes.

 
I wrapped the rollers in end papers to protect my hair.
 So far I've used the rod rollers twice using a little gel and the African Pride moisturize lotion. I twist a section of hair and I roll it ALONG the roller then give it a little twist and connect the roller cap to the end of the rod. I have learned that if I roll the hair along the roller rather than on top of itself I get a more coily curl and my hair is not damp the next morning. I slept without a head covering on a satin pillowcase so that my hair could get air to dry.

Right after I removed the rollers.
A twist on the rod roller.


Back- I love the curls but I need to work on the spacing and putting more rollers in the back. It is difficult to twist my hair in the back so I end up pulling it to the side and then after it sets the curls are still to the side so the  curls on/near the side are more curly and the hair in the back between the side curls is more straight. I blend it as best that I can.

Side-I love the curls but I need to work on my spacing so I won't see my scalp.

Top-Just look at those waves and curls.

Now that I use a bit of gel a twist out usually lasts me about two days and then I have to retwist. Remember I am still transitioning so I still have some relaxed ends. Perhaps when my hair is all natural a twist out will last a week.